Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Survivor

OK, maybe not quite that extreme, but I did do some serious skiing and hiking today.  After the usual late breakfast that has become the fantastic norm of this vacation, mom and I headed out for Tettegouche and arrived there about noon.  We agreed that we'd meet back at the car at 4:00 and briefed each other on a rough game plan for the day.  She was planning on hiking out to the High Falls and then coming back to the van to get her ski stuff and make a four mile loop.  I planned to ski a large loop that would take me over to the Mic Mac Camp before heading back.  As I looked at the trail map, I noticed that I had about a mile and a half of hiking that I would have to do through some hilly country.  I took this into consideration and headed out.  As I was skiing out, I had to make several wardrobe adjustments, and I think I know what I don't like about my new jacket.  The shell is made to be quite water resistant.  So when I sweat, I'm pretty sure any water vapor that is floating around inside my jacket, condenses on the cold wall of my shell, thus soaking me.  But as long as I kept moving I was doing just fine.  I briefly contemplated skiing across Lake Nipisiquit as Jon and I had done when we were in the middle of an arctic blast one year, but between being alone and not having remarkably cold temperatures recently, I quickly decided to take the trail.  When I got to the Mic Mac Camp, I discovered an 8 foot long 3 foot tall Great Sphinx made of snow.  I re-hydrated and was on my way.  I strapped my skis to my pack and started making my way on foot through the hills.  I quickly learned what kind of crazy body movements were required to manuver through the underbrush, which there was plenty of due to and ice storm last spring.  As I was nearing the half way point of the trek, I stopped for food to refule my rubbery legs.  I had also been thinking as I was hiking about what I would do if I were to get stranded out there.  So, while I was stopped, I built a fire and enjoyed that while I ate.  Once again I was on my way, and after struggling though a rough patch of trail where I sunk to my knee with every step, I decided that it was clear enough trail to put my skis on and take the trail like that.  That sped things up a ton, and I was back on groomed trails in no time.  Within a quarter mile, I had caught up with mom and we skied the last mile and a half or so together.  I think that I'm going to have to con the brothers into camping at the Mic Mac camp this summer and hiking the back country of Tettegouch with me, there was some pretty cool stuff that I saw in person, and more stuff that looked cool on the map - so think about it boys.



Here's a map of my route today for those of you who like the visuals.

And now, I'm good and sore and tired - just like I should be on vacation.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

That hike actually sounds pretty treacherous!!!