Sunday, October 26, 2008

Wyoming Day 5

Well today, Amanda and I headed for the mountains. After spending the morning preparing and getting maps, clothing, directions, etc. figured out, we headed for a possible two hikes in the norther part of the Big Horn Mountains. I was able to get a few pictures while we were driving up through the mountains, on none other than US 14, but I don't have a way to get them off the camera while I'm here. So you'll just have to wait. We drove up from our base elevation of 3745, to just over 8000 feet and climbed to the top of a little 400 foot hill, to figure out what we would need to dress like for our bigger hike. After cooling off and taking in the view for a bit, we hiked back down and drove to the base of Black Mountain. The elevation was 8340 where we parked the car and headed towards the top. After finding the correct trail, Amanda sent me on ahead as she was quite tired from the work out at altitude. I cruised up to the summit at 9489, where there is a fire watch station, and took pictures just before sun set. The wind was forecast at 30-40 sustained with gusts to 50, and I think that may have been accurate. On the windy side of this shack it was difficult to stand, and I cooled down from my speedy hike up in no time. Then I headed back down meeting Amanda along the way, and we hoofed it out as darkness fell. It was quite the adventure, and Amanda and I both took a hot shower and bath, respectively. And finally, it was laundry night, so I'll be all clean and fresh tomorrow and for the rest of my trip!

No comments: